The vast number of available surf collections makes it hard to settle on one solid introductory disc: From obscure albums on Del-Fi to the many current-day offerings peppered with updated classics, the fare is often more a connoisseur's paradise or some producer's askew marketing project than a proper mix for neophytes. Save for a cover photo that screams disaster, the 20-track Beach Classics has the right mix of classics and relative rarities to ensure a smooth first ride for those a bit wave shy. Besides some essential fare from both Dick Dale and the Beach Boys, this title also covers the garage end of things (the Trashmen), a bit of space-probe pysch (the Pyramids), and the aforementioned obscurities (the Hustlers, the Blazers). Certainly not the ultimate surf document, Beach Classics still will provide an ideal start to your surf music exploration. ~ Review by Stephen Cook
1. Bruce & Terry - Summer Means Fun
2. The Rivieras - California Sun
3. Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - Miserlou
4. The Hondells - Little Honda
5. The Hustlers - Inertia!
6. The Sunrays - I Live For The Sun
7. The Marketts - Balboa Blue
8. The Rip Chords - Hey, Little Cobra
9. The Blazers - Bangalore
10. Beach Boys - Surfin Safari (Candix version)
11. The Rumblers - Surf Rat
12. The Tradewinds - New York's A Lonely Town
13. The Chevell's - Riptide
14. The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
15. The Frogmen - Underwater
16. Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - King Of The Surf Guitar
17. The Pyramids - Penetration
18. Ronny & The Daytonas - G.T.O.
19. Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - Let's Go Trippin'
20. Beach Boys - Surfer Girl (Candix version)